And what you need to know about them!
Winter is in full swing, even though it might have felt more like spring this past week. High winds, snow/ice storms and freezing temperatures are expected and often result in power outages.
Portable generators, such as Honda or Generac, provide a popular solution. Used correctly, they provide the power and peace of mind necessary to help ride out devastating winter storms.
Here are some important tips for proper use
- Ventilate properly outdoors, never inside
- Prioritize your needs and avoid overloading the generator
- Keep it dry to avoid electrical risk
- Practice fire safety by keeping a fire extinguisher close by
- Practice cord safety – Use the correct size cord and don’t use cords that are frayed or cut
- Don’t backfeed - Say no to wall outlets!
- Protect your hands! Wear safety gloves before operating a generator
- Cool before you fuel - Be sure the generator is turned off and cool before fueling it
- Keep children and pets away from a hot generator!
- Transfer Switch permanent generators must have a transfer switch
Stay warm and cozy this winter! Give our Perkasie 215-257-9171 or Harleysville 215-723-9805 offices a call and learn more about homeowners insurance. Generators make a great gift, but don’t forget to call our and talk to one of our agents about an even better gift: life insurance!
By Andrea Moyer