For all the junk food Americans are reputed to eat, we’re apparently still enjoying our fruits and veggies. According to loyalty card data tracking shoppers’ purchases, 99.7 percent of U.S. shoppers bought some fresh produce in 2010. The most popular choices?
- Bananas 85.9 percent
- Potatoes 84.3
- Onions 82.7
- Tomatoes 80.5
- Citrus 73
- Apples 71
In the mood for a fruit salad, this one is named appropriately, courtesy of All Recipes.com.
Perfect Summer Fruit Salad
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 2 cups blueberries
- Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange zest, and lemon zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Layer the fruit in a large, clear glass bowl in this order: pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.