The northeast has been enjoying stellar weather that is more like early summer than early spring. There is nothing more relaxing (at least in my view) than taking a leisurely bike ride on a country road or bike trail. But before you take to the roads or trail here is some good advice.
Safe bike riding
To protect yourself while cycling:
- Always wear a helmet; the most serious bike injuries are to the head.
- Wear reflective clothing so motorist can see you clearly.
- Properly maintain your bicycle; repair tires, gears and brakes as they age.
- Obey the rules of the road. Follow the same rules that apply to cars and other vehicles.
- Ride in the same direction as cars, never against traffic.
- Ride well to the left of parked cars. This will help you avoid being “doored” when a motorist unexpectedly opens the driver’s side door as you ride by.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), more than 1 million bicycles were stolen in the US in 2006. Cities and suburbs are hot spots for theft, but universities and college towns rank high on the list too.
So is there coverage on my policy if my bike gets stolen?
Bicycles are covered under the personal property section of your standard homeowners and renters insurance. Be careful if have a high deductible, your payment for your stolen bike will be less your deductible. Another option is purchasing a separate policy or adding an endorsement to your policy. You’ll have a lower deductible, $50 or $100, and you’ll get broader coverage. It is also a good idea to save your receipts and add your bicycle to your home inventory form.
Check out Advocates for Highway & Auto Safety for more information.
The Weimer Group is located in southeastern PA with offices in Bucks County and Montgomery County. Our primary objective is to provide each of our clients with financial security and peace of mind by delivering personal solutions through one-on-one relationships. The goal of our blog is to provide you with insurance information, but also provide resourceful information for your enjoyment. Contact us today to find out what sets us apart from the rest.