Selecting safe toys during the holiday season, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, is difficult because not all toys are suitable for every child and their age. The recommended guidelines for choosing for all ages is:
ü Look for toys that have a solid design and a sturdy construction.
ü Check to see if the instructions are clear.
ü Read the labels to see if they are any fire hazards.
ü Look for labels that assure you the toys have passed a safety inspection – ASTM. ASTM means, the toy has met the American Society for Testing and Materials standards.
It is also important to know what kind of toys to avoid in order to prevent possible injuries. For example, do not choose:
- Toys with small parts and sharp edges and points.
- Guns and other toys that shoot flying objects and make loud noises.
- Crayons and markers that are not labeled non-toxic.
- Toys that could shatter into fragments if broken.
- Toys with ropes and cords.
- Electric toys with heating elements.
If you need further information please visit: