You’ve heard the saying “there are only two things in life that are guaranteed”—and taxes are one of them.
If you’re one of the millions of people who like to complete and file your taxes with plenty of breathing room before the April 15 deadline, chances are you’re collecting paperwork, firing up the computer or getting in touch with a local tax preparer. Here are a few things you should have ready before filing on your own or with the help of a professional:
- Correctly spelled names, Social Security numbers and birth dates for anyone on the return, including kids.
- W-2 forms for wages you received from an employer.
- 1099 forms for interest income, dividend income, tuition expenses and various other non-wage income.
- Proof and documentation for tax credits, including insulation improvements to your home, sending a dependent off to college, child and dependent-care credits and many others.
- Any other income, including gambling winnings, and small business or hobby income.
There are new internet tax sites popping up every day for those who decide to file taxes themselves. But remember—although these sites claim to have strict policies about personal data, you can never be too safe with your personal information. If you haven’t already, you might want to consider adding Identity Recovery Coverage (IDR) to your Erie Insurance homeowners policy. For a very reasonable annual fee, IDR helps you get your identity restored if you’re a victim of identity theft or fraud.
Whether you need Identity Recovery for tax purposes, life insurance to take care of your new dependent or renters insurance for that dependent who’s flown the nest, we can help assure that there are more guarantees in life. Give us a call 888.304.6678 or visit our virtual insurance office at www.TheWeimerGroup.com.