With winter officially starting this Friday the 20th, we need to prepare for the winter weather. We have already had quite a bit of snow and it’s not even winter yet! Snow and freezing rain can have a major impact on the road conditions and your driving abilities. No one likes to drive in winter weather but sometimes we have to do it. If you do have no venture out when the weather isn’t looking so good keep these tips in mind to be safe:
- First, get all of the snow off your car, and don’t forget the roof! Failing to clean off your car can be illegal and dangerous!
- Decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop.
- Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other drivers.
- Don’t use cruise control or overdrive.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding, if your wheels lock up don’t panic, just take your foot of the gas petal.
- Do not tailgate, it often leads to accidents.
- Watch out for black ice, if the road looks slick, it probably is.
- Give yourself extra time, it will take longer to get to your destination when the roads are bad.
- Make sure your brakes, windshield wipers, defroster, heater and exhaust system are in top condition.
- Check your antifreeze and be ready for colder temperatures.
- Check your tires, they should be properly inflated and should have tread that is in good condition.
- Keep your gas tank full, running out of gas when it’s freezing outside is not fun.
Remember there is no shame in making a decision to stay in when the conditions are bad. If you don’t feel comfortable driving, don’t! If you did make the decision to leave the house and the weather gets bad, find a safe spot to pull over and wait until the weather passes or calms.
Winter is also a good time to call your insurance company and make sure that your auto coverage’s are up to date. You don’t want to get in an accident and find out that you have no collision coverage on your vehicle. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
For more information on this topic or to discuss your insurance needs, please contact us at 888.304.6678 or visit our virtual insurance office.