With the forecast for potentially severe impacts from Hurricane Sandy in our area early next week, it’s important to take time now to prepare. Here are some tips to help you get ready and hopefully minimize the impact if the storm hits our area:
- You should build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- If you have a generator, start it up to test it and have it ready. Be sure you have plenty of fresh gas on hand, and always be certain to never run a generator in an enclosed space and away from windows and doors.
- Make plans to secure your property,
- Check your sump pump and discharge pipe to be sure it is working properly and there are no blockages.
- If you have a basement, elevate contents off the floor to prevent damage in the event the basement becomes flooded.
- Do not park your car in flood prone areas.
- If the water source for your home is a private well, consider filling a bathtub with water in the event power goes out and you’re unable to pump water from your well. This water can be used for flushing toilets.
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Determine how and where to secure your boat.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- Don’t forget your pets. If they’re typically kept outside, be sure they have shelter.
In the event you do experience damage to your property or vehicles as a result of this storm, here are some tips to help you with your claim:
- If you can do so safely, take steps to prevent further damage.
- Report your claim as soon as possible. If you are unable to contact our office, check the list below for your insurer and call them to report your claim directly.
- Don’t make any permanent repairs until the insurance company has inspected the damage.
- Keep any damaged property for the adjuster to inspect.
We all hope and pray this storm remains out at sea and does not have a devastating impact. In the event it does remain on the current forecast track, taking time now to prepare will be a big help later.
Insurance Company Claim Numbers
Erie Insurance: 1-800-367-3743
Ohio Casualty: 1-866-255-5530
Grange Insurance: 1-800-445-3030
Selective Insurance: 1-866-455-9969
Foremost Insurance: 1-800-527-3907
FEMA Disaster Assistance: 1-800-621-3362