Pennsylvania residents are no strangers to snow. While your Philadelphia home insurance may include winter weather damage, when you take a closer look at your policy, you may find yourself uninsured for flooding. As the snow around your home begins to melt, it can cause a lot of water to surround your home. Here are some ideas on how to reduce the chance of water damage to your property.
- Check exterior drains, particularly near the basement entrance for blockages.
- Remove snow from around your home’s foundation as well as off your porch, decks and patios as soon as it stops falling.
- Clean gutters on a regular basis to prevent ice buildup.
- Remove outdoor flower boxes during the winter.
- Do not leave icicles hanging from the gutter or above walkways.
- Add weather stripping to skylights and windows.
- Keep storm drains clear of potential blockages by removing leaves and snow immediately.
Water can be just as destructive as fire. It can rot wood, cause mold and destroy electrical wiring. This is why it is important to have Philadelphia home insurance and additional flood coverage. For more information on your home insurance, contact one of our agents.