What type of coverage do you need?

Why is mold growing in my home?

Molds are part of the natural environment and serve a purpose outdoors. However, indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores and are capable of growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. Of the many types of molds, none will grow without water or moisture.

Can mold cause health problems?

Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergans (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Allergic reactions to mold are common, and may include sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Research on the topic is ongoing and for more detailed information it is advisable to consult a physician.

How do I get rid of, or prevent mold from growing indoors?

Mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can be prevented and controlled by controlling moisture indoors. Here are some tips that will help prevent and control moisture and mold:

  • Clean up all water leaks or spills quickly. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried within 24-48 hours after the leak or spill, it significantly decreases the likelihood that mold will grow.
  • Clean and repair roof gutter regularly.
  • Make certain that the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
  • Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
  • Keep indoor humidity low.
  • If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes, dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
  • Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible.
  • Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
  • Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the diswasher or dishwashing, etc.
  • Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and/or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
  • Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
  • Increase air temperature.

Many Pennsylvania home insurance companies limit the amount they will pay for loss caused by mold. For more insurance on this and Pennsylvania homeowners insurance contact our office today at 888.304.6678 or visit our Virtual Insurance Office at www.TheWeimerGroup.com. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for money saving insurance tips and information.

Posted 12:48 PM

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive


View Mobile Version

Our Customer Feedback

Leave A Review

From Our Blog

Save Money When You SHOP LOCAL


View All of Our Wonderful Pennsylvania Partners
  • Aflac
  • Amercol
  • Grundy
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Selective
  • Erie
  • Foremost
  • Hagerty
  • Ohio
  • Infinity
  • Plymouth Rock