Parking lots can be tricky to get in and out of without getting into an accident these days. Crazy parking lots such as WaWa, Walmart and Dunkin Donuts can have tons of cars at a time, which equals tons of people trying to get in and out quickly. Most of us are on the go 24/7, so we tend to want to get what we need and get out so that we can get on with the next thing on our list. This whole being in a hurry thing all the time can really cause a problem, especially in parking lots. Did you know that 20 percent of all accidents happen in parking lots? Crazy right?
Here are some steps that you can take to keep yourself and others safe while in parking lots:
- Slow down and proceed with caution- When in a parking lot you should drive at a school-zone speed. You should also keep your headlights on a use extra caution when you are turning or backing up.
- Correctly set your side mirrors- It can be a huge benefit if you move your side mirrors further out. You can even add blind spot mirrors to your already existing side mirror.
- Embrace technology- If you are looking for a new vehicle, you can get one with collision avoidance technology. This can include: rear view cameras, radar and ultrasonic systems, vehicle cross traffic alert systems and parking assist systems.
- If possible, park far away from others- You don’t always have to get the prime, first parking spot. Also, walking is good for you!
- Look for pull-through spots- This is great so you don’t have to back out later. Just make sure someone isn’t pulling into the front spot as the same time as you. Pull through with caution.
- Be extra careful on gusty days- If you’re parked close to other cars, strong winds can easily knock your door into another car. Shopping carts also have a habit of doing this as well.
If parking lots really freak you out, you could even go a step further and try shopping on low-volume days. The least crowded days for grocery shopping are Mondays and Tuesdays, especially after 6 p.m.
Of course, accidents can happen even if you are the most cautious driver. This is why you want to make sure that you have collision coverage with your auto insurance. This way you are covered if you crash into a lamppost or if your parked car is dinged. If you do get into an accident in a parking lot make sure that you:
- Get the other persons name
- Get their phone number
- Get all the information on the other car
- Get the other persons insurance information
- Call police if necessary
To make sure that you are covered if this should happen to you or for more information on this topic or to discuss your insurance needs, please contact us at 888.304.6678 or visit our virtual insurance office.
Information found from: eriesense.com