You’ve just taken the most important step to protect your family and loved ones by purchasing life insurance. You’ve completed your application, made your first payment, and now you will have a physical. So what can you do to get the best possible results from your exam? Grange Life and The Weimer Group want you to have the best experience possible when applying for life insurance coverage with us. Here is a simple 7-point checklist that could help you obtain a better underwriting classification, thus saving you money on your life insurance policy.
Plan at least 30 minutes for a full exam, plus another 15 minutes if x-rays and EKGs are required.
2. Your exam should be scheduled for a time when you are under the least pressure and are well rested. For most people, the optimum time is in the morning.
3. For best results:
48 hours before
- Avoid salt in order to regulate your blood pressure.
- Plan your food intake to avoid rich foods or those with large amounts of sugar.
24 hours before
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages and be sure to limit your intake the prior week.
12 hours before
- Fasting is recommended. If you choose a morning exam, do not eat breakfast unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
3 hours before
- Do not smoke, if you typically do.
4. Get a good night’s sleep.
5. If your exam is at a facility arrive a few minutes early for the exam – a short period of relaxation does wonders for tension.
6. Refresh your memory of any and all medications (s) you are currently using. Be sure to include the name, dosage, frequency, and the condition you use the medication for.
7. Refresh your memory of dates and doctor’s name, addresses, and phone numbers in your medical history by listing them on paper. The paramedical nurse will ask you what doctors you have seen.