The odor of natural gas in your Philadelphia home may be indicative of a serious problem that should be rectified right away. The odor could mean you have a gas leak, and leaking gas could cause an explosion or fire. You may need to call your home insurance if your home is damaged by a fire caused by a gas leak. Call as soon as possible after the fire is extinguished and you have noted any damage.
There are steps you may take when you smell a faint odor of natural gas.
• You may want to check all gas appliances and make sure they are turned off, and relight any pilot lights that have gone out.
• Open all windows to let the gas escape, and should you be unable to locate the source of the odor, contact your gas utility company.
A strong odor of natural gas is a more urgent situation.
• Don’t create any sparks by switching on lights, or turning on computers; and extinguish all flames, like candles and cigarettes.
• It may be best to leave your home immediately, taking all family members and pets, and contact your gas utility company from outside your home.
Your gas company may provide you with a list of things to do to avoid gas leaks, along with more detailed information on what to do in a gas leak emergency. For information about home insurance for your Philadelphia home, speak to one of our local agents.