One pleasant way to spend a day in October is to carve Halloween pumpkins with your family. Here are some tips on carving the perfect jack-o-lantern:
- Draw a pattern for the pumpkin face on a piece of paper.
- Trace your design onto the pumpkin’s exterior.
- Cut into the top of the pumpkin at a 45-degree angle to create a “ledge” that won’t allow the top to fall back inside when you place it back on.
- Scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin, leaving about one inch in thickness.
- Slice out the pattern, working from the center of the design outward. Cut the larger areas in chunks to make them easier to remove.
Don’t throw those seeds away! Here’s a recipe for:
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 1/2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 pinch of salt
Preheart the oven to 300 degrees. Toss seeds in a bowl with the melted butter and salt. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown; stir occasionally.