With Father’s Day coming up on Sunday we wanted to give you a few ideas on what you can do with your Dad. But first here is a little history on Father’s Day.
Father’s day is a day to honor Father’s and fatherhood but it was actually created to complement Mother’s day. The governor of Washington proclaimed the nation’s first Father’s Day on July 19, 1910. However, it was not an official nationwide holiday until 1972. When World War II began, Father’s Day was seen as a way to honor American troops and to support the way effort. Even though it was not a federal holiday when the war ended it was a national institution.
Stumped on what to do for Dad this Father’s Day? Here are 5 ways to spend your Father’s day.
- Enjoy Nature- Take Dad to a local park and walk around the many trails, or have a picnic with the family! Here are some parks great for this idea: Green Lane, Perk Valley, and Norristown Farm Park
- Sample a local Brewery (for those of age) – Support your local brewery, relax, and sample amazing beers made right in your hometown.
- Build something- Father’s day is a great day to help Dad fix up that old car he’s been keeping in the garage, or to help him build something completely new.
- Go to a Car Show- What says Happy Father’s Day more than spending an entire day looking at amazing cars with dad?
- Father’s Dar Car Show- Trevose, PA -8am
- Father’s Day Car Show- Bensalem, PA -10am
- The Elegance at Hershey- Hershey, PA- 9am
- Villa Capri Cruisers Car Club Father’s Day Car Show- Scranton, PA-8am
- Take a ride on the Spirit of Philadelphia- If you want to do something really special, take Dad to sail on the Spirit of Philadelphia. Lunch or Dinner cruises include an all-you-can-eat buffet, dancing, DJS and more. The cruises start at $50 for adults and $30 for children.